Photo Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

JRN 445 final proposal

Working title: Bars.



1) WORKING HYPOTHESIS and INTERPRETATION
I believe there is a place everyone should have to feel safe. I think my project will show another side of the bars in Bay City.
I would like to do a presentation on a gay bar or gay-friendly bar in the area. With so many bars, there must be one.

2) TOPIC
Bay City is a big bar city. I am sure each bar has its own feel and type of crowd. There has to be a place where gays can go and feel safe. I want to find that place, then learn why they chose the bar they chose. I would follow the history of the bar and learn about the people who frequent it.
It would be fantastic to find the type of bar with big burly factory corkers who are totally non-stereotype gay. Perhaps some sort of unspoken type of place.

3) ACTION
Most bars have special nights like karaoke or live music. I would see how this affects the crowd in said bar.

4) MAIN SUBJECT(S)
I don't have a subject yet, but by visiting Bay City and asking around, I hope to find a bar which would fit my idea, then talk with the locals/regulars.

5) CAMERA INTERVIEWS
I want to get the views of the bar owners and workers, some of the people who go there, and maybe some people who don't go there, and ask why they do not, or their opinions on the place. I think it is important to get an outsider's view, as well as someone who knows the place.

6) STRUCTURE
I think I will make this a focus piece on the scene of the chosen bar, that is, the people, the history, the feel of the place, etc.
We have a large map which will feature videos.
There could be a picture of an indoor piece of the bar. With flash, it could be edited to highlight patrons and tell information or go to videos on the people.

7) LOGISTICS
A group of the 521 students will head to Bay City when we can, probably Monday nights or weekends.

8) RESOLUTION
This piece will be part of a larger-scale work which will give an intimate look to some of the bars in a very bar-populated town. I want to show that there is a place for everyone, and every place is unique.

~JD

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great way to show another aspect of the gay community. It is a fresh idea that I have never seen, so I am excited to see what you end up with. I would also like to see/hear people from the community either supporting it or explaining why they disagree with it.

    ReplyDelete